Resurrection School was born from a dream shared by children of Resurrection Parish and church Pastor, Father Henry Alker. The school fulfilled that dream, which was to provide a Catholic Education to families who sought quality schooling for their children.
At that time, the families from southern Boyle Heights had limited choices to attend a Catholic School. They either sent their children to St. Mary’s or to the Missionary Sisters from Our Lady of Victory. On February 24, 1949, the youngsters of the parish picketed their elders after Sunday Masses in hope that a school would be built.
Groundbreaking for the projected schoolhouse was in place on Feb. 21, 1950. The pastor sent letters to different convents in hope of staffing the school. Only one order of Sisters responded, the Franciscan Sisters of Mary Immaculate. The Provincial House could only send enough Sisters to service four lower grades. With the co-endeavor of Father Alker and the Franciscan Sisters of Mary Immaculate, including the first principal, Sister Emma Oswald, FMI, the school opened in September 1950. Two hundred and eleven (211) children took their seats in the schoolhouse for the first time.
In 1953, the new pastor, Father Ramon Garcia, added three more grades, and two years later (1955), the school produced its first graduating eighth grade class. The current Pastor, Monsignor John Moretta has been leading the community since 1985. The current principal, Mrs. Angelica Figueroa, has been appointed since 2000.